I haven’t made Sloppy Joe’s in a while…it just sounds good tonight. Perhaps it’s all the political references to Joe the Plumber and Joe Six Pack! It’s a great dish because it’s so flexible with ingredients. Here’s the version I’m making right now:
- half green pepper, chopped (because this is what I have in the fridge).
- half sweet onion, chopped
- 1.85 lbs of lean ground beef
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- pepper and salt
- Emerill’s Essence seasoning
- 1 can Cambell’s Tomato Soup
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce (or sometimes I’ll substitute salsa).
- couple jigs of Worcester Sauce (to your taste)
- Hamburger Buns (we’re using potato buns–but I do like to sneak in wheat buns when I can).
- Butter and Garlic Salt
- Top with shredded cheese
Saute green pepper and onion until soft. Add ground beef and salt, pepper and Essence. Add garlic once beef is almost completely browned. Stir in soup, paste, ketchup, BBQ sauce and Worcester.
Split buns under broiler and butter and sprinkle garlic salt on one half. Broil until golden. Top with beef and shredded cheese.
Served with a side of steamed broccoli with cheese sauce.